How does the process work? What will I get?
When it comes to career counselling and consulting, I believe in the 'personal touch'. In our one-on-one sessions we focus entirely on you and your unique career concerns. I offer my clients 2 distinct services:
1. Career counselling services - when you're discouraged, stressing about the future, and ready for change.
2. Career coaching and consulting services - when you're satisfied with your chosen field but not managing your career as well as you'd like to.
It's a 3-phase process. We start with deepening self-knowledge and clarifying career goals and then go on to exploring opportunities in the world of work. Finally, I help you make decisions and move forward.
Phase 1 - Getting to know what's special about you. We focus on your distinctive talents and career requirements.
- We use a variety of career assessments to 'anchor' our discussions and bring structure to the process.
- The MBTI (Myers Briggs Type Indicator) and the SII (Strong Interest Inventory) are among the many tools we choose from.
- We nail down your career 'assets' - the many strengths and competencies you bring to the table.
- You do a lot of hard thinking and some reading between sessions. I do a lot of questioning and we have 'meaty' discussions.
- You come away with a clear sense of what you want (and don't want) and what you have to offer. Typically 3-4 weekly sessions.
Phase 2 - Connecting with a world of possibilities. We widen the window on choices and then help you narrow the field to find the best fit.
- Your homework shifts to on-line research and finally to information interviews with real people about their careers.
- I direct you to resources AND people and coach you through ... but you do the work.
- We set up a course of action and a time frame to help you stay on track.
- When we're done, you have several, well researched options to choose from.
Phase 3 - Making decisions and moving forward I help you weigh the options, make decisions and plot the first steps ... choosing a program of studies, crafting a job search, fine tuning a resume, preparing for a key interview - whatever you need.
Career Coaching & Consulting
Sometimes your career 'feels right'. You're pretty happy with your chosen field, even your company ... but you're unsure about how to navigate the daily hurdles or continue to grow and advance. You need advice or maybe just an outside perspective from someone knowledgeable about careers.
I help you step back and look at the problem through new eyes. When the boss is on your case or your colleagues are sabotaging your career or when it's time for a promotion and you're not sure you'll get it ... you need options, strategies and resources.
I give you the tools to work it out and I'm there as your advisor and sounding board as you go forward.
Sometimes, I help you decide when and how to leave. Depending on your needs, we usually come up with a satisfying course of action in 1-3 sessions.Fees
Sessions are usually 90 minutes long at $150 per session ($100/hr). Any assessments that we use are included in these fees. Fees are payable at the time of each session.
There is no commitment to a specific number of sessions. Our time together is driven by your needs and wishes. Electronic transfer, cash and cheques are welcome.
It's been 15 years since I began CareerWise Consulting. Over that time I've helped and worked with more than 1400 clients just like you. After all this time, I'm still evolving, enhancing my approach to meet your needs in challenging times ... and I'm still having fun!
I'm so proud to have been a part of your career journey ... and knowing that life's transitions never truly end, I invite you to return again (and again) to update, regroup & reconnect.
I want to make sure that I keep you engaged and centered and that my services are accessible to you as you change and grow.
The following benefits are for past clients who have completed a 5-7-session career exploration program with me at any time during the past 15 years:
- 10% discount for face-to-face sessions
- Complimentary phone consultations - when you need a 'sounding board'
- Freely given endorsements - references for post secondary programs or scholarships
- Complimentary résumé review - when you need another opinion or some 'tweaking'
- One free session when your referral becomes a client
Free speaking services: as part of my community outreach, I'm delighted to offer my speaking services free of charge to non-profit, professional and community groups. Presentations are tailored to the interests of your group. Examples of past topics include:
For This I Went to College?
It's not Too Late to Run Away and Join the Circus
Working on your Career - Not Just In It
A Tough Act to Follow